Wednesday, December 19, 2007

On the Search for a New Librarian

The search and screen committee met to find my new boss. We've got a short list of five, two of whom I am really rooting for. They are great! It took us a couple of hours to pick them out.

I have to say, though, that there's one person on the search and screen whom I think is a jerk. He only read the cover letters, and thus didn't get that one of the applicants does any outreach (she's only the top liaison librarian on campus). He derided another librarian's decision to get a juris doctorate and not practice law.

"That's a lot of money to waste," he said.

That pissed me off. I said, "It's not too uncommon to have a law degree and not be practicing. My father has a law degree, which he needs for his job, but he's not a practicing lawyer."

I just feel like he was too flippant about a lot of stuff. On the other hand, he is pretty direct, and I think that will help in the long run. So, he's jerky, but not without his place.

No comments: